Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Hold on for the ride!

We've pretty much always existed on the brink of financial problems.  Never in poverty or even close to what I would consider poverty, but there have been many payments made late or deferred, cupboards running bare for a few days, debt added to.  Some things were out of our control and other times we made poor choices. 
I'm not sure I'm even sad for these years.  I have serious appreciation for people who work hard to make ends meet and a good amount of empathy for those who just flat out don't make ends meet.  Honestly, I'm comfortable here with  just barely enough.
I'm about to get a little uncomfortable...Chad was hired at Williams Energy last week.  We're beyond excited.  It's a good job with a great company that gives incredible benefits.  We're going to have a little more then enough. 
It makes me anxious, kinda nervous.  I don't want to be a poor steward of what we've been given.  There are BIG ticket things that we've always lived without and we've been FINE.  I don't want to all of the sudden think we "need" these things just because we can buy them.
We're a long way from rollin' in the dough, but some breathing room will be welcomed. 
I was joking with my sister last night about not wanting to buy a boat. (Disclaimer: If you are a friend of mine with a boat, I hold no ill feelings towards you.)  I was laughing about how people with money always buy a boat and I really don't want a boat, but it just seems like one of those things you buy if you have money so I told her not to let me buy a boat!! 
Anyway, with the job change comes some big changes for us besides finances.  We're buying an old, used truck for Chad to drive to work.  We'll pay for insurance through his company.  We'll have investments! Ah!  We're refinancing the house.  New cell phone plans.  No more shorts and tshirts for Chad's job. 
AND...Chad still gets to go to Haiti!  Big, big huge deal!
It's quite the ride so far.

1 comment:

  1. I still had so many questions after talking to you today! You answered them!! Haiti!!!!!

    ReplyDelete