Saturday, July 7, 2012

Media

I do not like TV.  There I said it.
It's been an evolution to get to this point, but the other day I was running on a treadmill at the Y and there were 4 TVs in front of me all with something different on.  It was making me crazy.  Even when I just watched one of the TVs it was overstimulating, excessive, obnoxious, annoying. 
I use to watch it all the time.  Wake up, turn the news on and keep it on til lunch.  Catch a few talk shows/soap operas in the afternoon and then again at night for a few hours.  I did that for years. 
When we moved into this house a few years ago, we decided to not hook up any cable.  It took some getting use to, but overall it's been great.  My kids are big movie watchers and I'm an internet junkie so it's not like we're starving for some media fix.  I still use the TV to "babysit" at times or we veg out on really hot or really cold days.  We just get to be more selective. 
I'll watch TV episodes of different shows occasionally and the kids watch ALOT of movies from the library(except this week during the media fast).
I like the silence.  And now when I actually do see some TV, it's annoying.  Too much banter, nastiness, overproduced versions of society.   Its all so fake.  The reality shows (disclaimer: I watch at least a few of the Bachelor/Bachelorette episodes every season :-)! ), the talk shows, the news is even fake most of the time. 
So, I don't like TV. I'm sure that puts me in the minority of the American population.  No worries, America, I'll still be spending hours a day trolling the internet so I'll be sufficiently bombarded anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment