Thursday, December 26, 2013

This parenting thing

We've made it no secret that our "baby" Caleb is his own breed of awesome.  With every challenge comes growth and he has made us stretch and grow, people. 
 He is intelligent and funny and fascinating.  He is one of a kind.  He has a mind that operates quickly and often around numbers.  He surprises me every day with what he has learned or what his thoughts revolve around.  He's growing up, maturing and learning quickly.  We love him like crazy.


This past semester was a difficult one for me and in turn put extra responsibilities on Elijah and Autumn.  They handled it well, but it meant Caleb watched entirely too much TV and played on the computer much longer than anyone would recommend.  It kept him occupied and happy while I was away here and there.  
What we have realized is that he needs "things" to do.  His mind must be occupied with activities or he struggles with being angry or frustrated or mean.  So with much thought and prayer, we decided to send him to Kindergarten next semester.  As in a little over a week.  
This is a hard.  I can't give him what he truly needs at this point and that is difficult for me to admit.  Honestly, it's a little bit that I don't want to be his educator and a little bit that I know someone else will do a better job.  He is intimidating in that arena.  Strong-willed, stubborn, and brilliant.  That's too much pressure for me.  So, we're going to pass the baton to some very capable hands.  He will go to half day Kindergarten at a little country school outside of town.  I am excited for him despite his assurance that he is NOT going.  I think he will thrive there.  I pray those few hours each day will teach him many things I feel inadequate or unmotivated to teach him.  
It's so different than what we have done with the other kids, but he is so different so it feels right.  Some serious unknowns up ahead.  I welcome the change and the challenge!

1 comment:

  1. I yelled entirely too much the year my strong-willed child was in Kindergarten with me. I hear you on the pressure and inadequacy issue. Those stubborn smarty pants children are tough stuff. Caleb will most certainly thrive in any environment that engages and challenges him. (and you'll get through it too) You and Chad do a great job looking at each of your children as individuals and deciding what is best for them based on their own unique God-given gifts. You'll be in our prayers as you face these first few days.

    ReplyDelete