Sunday, February 9, 2014

Who you are and what you do

What is it about identity that can be so complicated? 
Who am I? When asked, I think I often say what I strive to be or what I want others to perceive me to be, but that's not always accurate.  I don't think I can truly be who I desire to be until I recognize who I am right now.  The good things, the bad things, the the mediocre things.
Hopefully, we're all an ever changing landscape on our way to becoming more like Christ.  A little tweek here, a shift in perspective there.
That being said, how does that translate into what I do.  I believe who we are should permeate what we do, but what we do cannot be who we are.  I say should, knowing full well that that is easier said than done.  It takes effort, failures, successes and stumbles. I still stumbling along with this one.
If someone asked me over the years in an effort to find out a little bit about who I am, "what do you do?",  my answer could have been a student, a basketball player, a secretary,  a Mary Kay consultant, a volleyball and basketball coach, a church secretary, a barista and currently a CrossFit coach/athlete.  The problem with that is I am not any of those things.  Those were and are things I do.  Each of those things were or are a large part of my life.  They help me grow and change. They provided me opportunities to interact and engage with all kinds of people.  I enjoyed each one and truly enjoy my current job as a CrossFit coach.  But, the what we do/who we are battle is an important difference and one that cannot be overlooked if we're striving for balance.  It's easy to get wrapped in what we do and let it define us. 
I genuinely loved each one of those opportunities. Occasionally I let myself get so wrapped up in one or another that I have confused it for my identity.  Once that happened, though, it lost it's luster. The job became a job and it no longer held my attention.  I learned more and more at each turn that I am defined by my Creator alone.  We cannot be defined by what we choose to fill our time with.  Let who you are permeate what you do, regardless of what that is.  Be passionate about what you spend your time doing.  Enjoy it. Embrace it.  But always remember it is not who you are.  
I am always striving to remember that I am a child of God first and my words and actions should reflect that(should, but don't often enough for me to wonder why He still wants me on His team). Whatever other circumstance or position I am in is merely that, a circumstance or position.  Who I am must rise above whatever those are today, tomorrow or always.


No comments:

Post a Comment