Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A heart divided will stand

If I have learned anything from my times in Haiti, it is there is no limit to love.  They love so well.  And I learn how far I still have to go.

We like to put walls around love and limit it's power, because often loving more means hurting more and going more and giving more and listening more and hearing more and seeing more, but "more" freaks us out because we already feel like we're spread so thin.   
I can assure you that loving more does mean all those things and you most certainly want what comes with it all.  
If I can't love, truly love, with the full knowledge that relationships are being forged, I will fail somewhere along the way because I'm really good at that, forgiveness will be needed and God can move mountains and roll stones away and sacrifice everything with love, then what am I doing here?  
I don't want to exist on an Earth where love doesn't win.  And it will only be, if we keep allowing ourselves to be vulnerable to all that comes with truly loving.  To continuing to be open to seeing suffering, both internal and external, to not turning away when it's difficult, to digging in for the long haul, cause that matters, these are the acts of love that change people and places and change me and change you.
My heart has been ripped open by this place and these people.  It hurts so much and heals so much.  Each time I go, my eyes stretch open, my perceptions shift, my understanding grows and I love more.  And not just our friends in Haiti.  I learn so much there that opens my eyes to here too.  You don't have to travel to Haiti to learn to love. The opportunities are in your house or next door or down the street or lying next to you in bed.  

My heart is divided in more ways than one and it holds.  Each time I think it may just be done cause it hurts so much, it divides and holds.  God has given us all an enormous capacity to love and He holds it all together when we think it's impossible.  I wonder if we all tested that capacity what God could do through that?  I plan on continuing to try and fail and try again because what better way to live?

No comments:

Post a Comment