Friday, April 18, 2014

Haitian vacation

We have said that's what this trip was a vacation and it's true to a degree. We love being in Haiti.  We always get taken care of so well. We have always had a chance to do something touristy or sightsee or enjoy the culture in some way.  
All of that is true. 
But still there are always things that rock me and make me see a little differently. Always something or multiple somethings that solidify for us why we continue to collect donations and tell whoever will listen about this country and will continue to visit.
A country of contrasts it seems on the surface.  
Stunning mountains
 breathtaking landscapes,
and hidden jewels.


To homes that barely stand.

 To lots and roads filled with trash.

To reminders of an earthquake that devastated so many.

And yet, I wonder. I wonder if my perceptions are accurate.  More often than not, being here makes me see differently.  Think differently.  On our way home from Jacmel, I had such a moment. When we drive through Haiti, people are selling on the sides of the roads everywhere.  I looked at that and thought, they must be so desperate.  In the back of my mind, I assumed they would take whatever offers came their way just to make a gourde.  Because, if you were in poverty, wouldn't you take anything over nothing?
And then perception shifted when Gertrude told Leonard to stop along the way because she wanted to get some produce to take home. We come across two ladies walking into Jacmel from the countryside first.  Gertrude talks with them through the window and buys an entire tub from one lady.  I don't know how much she offered, but it was enough for this woman.

Gertrude stills wants some more so Leonard pulls over and ladies come to the car with various plates and baskets of things.  
A raucous conversation ensues between the ladies, Gertrude and Leonard.  I don't understand anything except an occasional "dollars".  Everyone laughs or smiles and we drive away.  I'm surprised.  This happens again.  Same outcome.  We drive away without anything. I ask Gertrude why?  "I can get it cheaper in the city," she says.
And just like that I realize these venders may not be so desperate. They have a price tag on their wares.  They aren't so desperate to take any offer that comes along and Gertrude didn't have any problem driving away when she knew she could get a better price elsewhere. 
They aren't so different from us.  Don't we do the same? Check for prices, decide if the product is worth the price, go elsewhere if we know we can get a better deal.  And if we place a value on something we own, do we take a penny when we think it's worth a dollar?  Not so different.
I was wrong.  Again.  I love these moments that rock my assumptions, that make me question how I think and why I think the way I do.  Good stuff.
A vacation for sure, but so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment