Sunday, November 9, 2014

Passing through

I'm not sure I can catch up sufficiently from the past 2 weeks, but I feel like I need to try.  My last post was pre-funeral and so much has happened since then.  Something about grief and insane amounts of busyness makes a girl not want to blog.
My grandma passed away on Oct. 21.  Autumn's birthday.  I was so terribly sad that night and the fact that it was on her birthday made me all the more introspective as we celebrated life in the midst of news about death.   A reminder that we are just passing through this world.
There is a big empty space in our family now.  I know we all feel it in varying degrees.  Marge had a special place in many, many people's lives and we're all dealing with it in our own way.  
Mostly I'm just thankful.  Thankful that I had a special, awesome relationship with her.  Grateful that she was able to be here for so much of my "big" things in life.  Thankful she left little pieces of who she was in letters over the years, in thoughtful gifts and in conversations that I will not soon forget.  So thankful she and Grandpa fell in love with Haiti.  Those few years for her and my Grandpa led to many years of support for the Lutheran church in Haiti, which 2 generations later, led us there.  It's a powerful circle and one we hope will include adoption.  She left a legacy of faith and kindness and laughter and there is not much more you can ask for in life.  
The beautiful thing about funerals is how they can bring people together.  My siblings are rarely all together, but everyone made the time and put down the money to get there. Due to travel and schedules her funeral wasn't until the following Monday, Oct. 27. 
The service was nice.  The committal was a bit more tough for everyone, I think.  She is buried close to Grandpa and Luke.  I know being right there was difficult for some, myself included.  Memories flooded.
We managed to get a few pictures together back at the house.
I always miss Luke in these circumstances.


We're a force. 
And moderately good looking.  
Some would say very good looking :-)

Add in a few in-laws and the awesome factor takes a leap.  
I'm partial, I suppose, but my siblings have married very well. 
 The thing about family is, we seem to have the same language regardless of time or age.
I have hilarious brothers and sisters.  Where 2 or 3 are joined together...there is laughing and joking.  
We can be sad and serious and hold each other up.
And we can laugh even in the midst of sadness.
I find it to be an essential trait.





1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! This is the legacy your grandma was undoubtedly proud of. My grandma has been gone 9 years but sometimes I am overtaken by a wave of sadness thinking about her. I don't think that ever goes away.

    ReplyDelete