Friday, July 16, 2010

Swimming

I can't swim. Rather let me rephrase. I didn't think I could swim.

Enter: Taking swim lessons at 29.

Now, I'm married to a swim lesson instructors instructor. Meaning he teaches people how to teach swim lessons. He's a great swimmer and teacher, yet I could not bring myself to listen to his instructions without getting annoyed.
So, I was stuck with doing the side stroke whenever I got the urge to swim.

That was last summer.

My wonderful friend, Jamie, says one day this summer, " Let's take swim lessons."

See, I had a thing about the breathing and the swimming and the breathing. It was just too much to put all together. It seemed so unnatural.

But, being the senseless person I am, I said, "Sure. Let's do it." Pretending to be excited.

So, last night was our first lesson. I was nervous. Not like crazy-hyperventilating nervous, but butterfly-in-the-stomach nervous.
I was nearly panicky nervous when she said, "Just put your face in and blow bubbles."

That stupid breathing thing!

Funny thing was I did it a few times and it wasn't too bad. Couldn't be cause 4 year olds can do that, right?

So, anyway, longer story long, I swam. With my face in the water, breathing and blowing out just like the pros...

Well, maybe not JUST like them.

I think I like swimming.

4 comments:

  1. I am sooo excited. And you did kinda look like the pros. At least a little bit...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you Sarah! I'm not a swimmer either. I can do it, but I'm uncomfortable with it. It's exactly the same for me as you said...the breathing and the swimming and the breathing!! Good for you conquering this obstacle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of parent would allow their child to enter adulthood without knowing how to swim. People like that shouldnt have kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MOM! I just saw your comment! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete