Wednesday, June 6, 2012

12 years

 ago I got married.  I spent all day getting ready and I didn't see him at all that day until the wedding which ended up being at 9:45 PM.  It was exciting and I was blissfully happy all day knowing I would get to see him that night!
Yeah.

Fastforward 12 years and we saw each other for a 45 minute lunch before I had to run off and pick up Autumn from a camp and he had to get back to work.  May see him for another half hour or so before the day is over.  Timewise, not all that different from that wedding day.  Lifewise, we're on another planet.
It's ok.  Would I like to spend my anniversary actually seeing the hubs?  Sure, I would.  The reality is that jobs, kids, schedules, ball games, etc made that tough this year. 
What 12 years has made me realize is that those special, meaningful moments that you expect to have on big days (anniversaries, birthdays, holidays), get spread out. We still have those mushy, feel good days, but they're random.  We grab them as we go along.  The truth is I like it that way.  I like our crazy, busy life.  I still like my husband, which I think trumps "love" at this point in the game. I like knowing that just because we didn't get that date night or fancy gift or honeymoon, we're still good.  Really good. 
I'm excited to see him tonight when he gets home, maybe moreso than I was that night 12 years ago.  We'll have a drink on the porch, chat about what's going on and call it a Happy Anniversary day!

No comments:

Post a Comment