Tuesday, January 20, 2015

To resolve or not to resolve...

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of New Years resolutions.  Mostly because I'm not a goal oriented person and as much as I like the idea of becoming a more aware, healthy, present individual, a once a year, "I'm gonna do it this time" mentality sucks the life out of me quick.  Cause I think, "Really? If I wanted to do something badly enough I would just do it without a NY resolution to drive me." Mostly, it's because I'm kinda super  lazy when it comes to sticking with things.
BUT...there is always a but, right?  We're too complicated and intricate as humans to have any real hard and fast rules about ourselves, am I right?  
I made a kind of resolution.  Maybe it's more of a challenge.  A "I wonder if I could do it" challenge.  
I wonder if I could go a full year and not buy any clothes for myself.  And I wonder if I could go a full year and not add anything to my house(furniture, accessories, decor).
I've been thinking this past month of all the things we have, materialistically.  It's quite a bit.  
I literally do not need a single article of clothing or a single piece of furniture/decoration/home remodel/painting project, etc.  
I SAY I'm not materialistic, but I am.  I like being able to buy a shirt when I want to just cause I think it's pretty.  I like buying throw pillows cause I think they'll add some color to the living room.  Although I like my decor pretty simple and clutter free, I like pretty things.  I want a rug for our living room and bar stools and I want to redo our bedroom and repaint our kitchen cabinets.  I want to buy a new dress and some cute shoes.  
So I wonder if I could go the whole year and say no to that impulse every time.  We don't always have the extra money to buy those things, but we do often enough for me to not be in need of a single, stinkin' thing.  So we're doing alright, I guess.
I'm giving it a go.  So far two weeks in, I feel like its no problem.  It's winter and nothing about winter makes me want to buy anything or dress in anything cute.  
Now spring and summer may be a different story.  Warm weather makes me happy and when I'm happy I want to do house projects and buy cute summer clothes.  So we'll see.  Mostly I just want to do it to save some money (another post on that later!) and see if I can get by with what I have(I am certain I can, but I won't want to!)  And maybe there in lies the lesson.  I can absolutely go a whole year without another article of clothing or thing in my house, but I won't want to.  So maybe this is more about being a little uncomfortable and saying no to some things that don't really matter so maybe I can say yes to some bigger more valuable things.  
I don't know.  
We'll see how it all plays out! 

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to keeping each other accountable in this area. 20 days in LOL.
    I have almost found it freeing. Nope, don't need to slow down and window shop here because I need... Nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halfway through this my thought was "she is totally going to flip this no clothing thing into a Grandma K style nudist colony." :) Love it though!! I could definitely use a good dose of that discipline! I want for not a thing!

    ReplyDelete