Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Stories

Do you ever look back and piece together the decisions and life changes and events that got you to where you are right now?  I'm sure that means reliving some heartache, recognizing some good decisions and maybe some not so good ones, seeing how those things changed you and grew you into this person today.  
What I am finding so interesting is finding out pieces of these stories of our friends in Haiti.  The truth is, it's easy to be there for a week at a time and not really ask about their stories.  If you're like me (and maybe you're not), but if people want to really know me, they have to know some or all of my history.  Each event or life change brought with it growth and those all contribute to "who I am."  If we don't ask, most people don't offer up their stories.  This time we were able to hear more of the story and in turn were able to continue to build a real friendship with Josie and others.

Saturday in Haiti was my favorite Haiti day to date.  Some because I woke up in a place I have wanted to wake up in since I stepped through it's gate, House of Love and Hope.  Some because we learned more of Josie's story and why she is where she is today.   We spent time with her.  Not working on a project or just playing with the kids, but with her and as I told her, I didn't think I could love her more, but I do!

Saturday morning the kids have a tutor come in and work with them on homework until about noon.  That left Alana and Josie and I to eat a slow breakfast and oh my goodness, did she feed us well!


Boiled plantain, carrots and onion and this delicious salty fish with onion and greens.  This was breakfast!  And of course, the best coffee.  Delicious.

Roofing supplies!
While the kids worked, we went through donations, showed Alana around the house and chatted.  

A power source.  It's basically a battery pack.
Lots of donations!  We filled her medicine cabinet and then some! 
This was a really meaningful moment.  One of the children had a pretty bad asthma attack and respiratory issues are common here.  Being able to show her how to use the nebulizer and know it would help the littles when they are sick was so awesome. 

In the afternoon, we took off for Josie's house to pick up her boys. Josie is an awesome driver, which is no small feat in Haiti.  We stopped on the way to the house for sugar cane!  I'd always wanted to try it. It was very fibrous and juicy.   You kinda chew/suck on it and spit the fiber out.


While we were at Josie's we chatted and Alana asked how she came to have an orphanage.  I had heard bits and pieces but it was always when there were lots of people around or amongst the busyness of the orphanage.  Here it was just us in her living room.  She was able to share with us her story.  It's not my place to share it, but it is born in heartache and full of God's faithfulness and her desire to be a mother.  She has two boys of her own, a nephew she loves and cares for and another young man who came to her when her boys were young and she has raised with them.  With the 21 children at the orphanage who are all very much her children too, we joked with her she has 25 kids!!
All that she does is for them.  Her job she currently holds pays for the staff.  Her days and nights are often spent trying to make ends meet for their care.  She communicates with the staff daily and stays at the orphanage at least once a week.  I am amazed at her love.  Inspired by her faithfulness and trust.  She has big dreams to not only care for these children now, but as they grow up and have to make a living.  
On our way back from her house, we stopped at a supermarket, which was interesting.  It was right by the Embassy so there were people from all over the world shopping there.  As we headed out and around a corner, Josie's tire fell into a hole.  Not just any hole, a huge hole that went to the sewer underneath.  As she sat there for a second, several men hollered at her from the curb and another driver passing by said something to her.  We asked and she said the men on the curb were offering to pull her out for $50!!  And the man driving by, said don't do it!  You can get out yourself.
It was so crazy, but Josie, put her truck in gear and revved us right out of there and we were on our way.  I love her :-)
Back at HOLH, we played and ate and hung around while the kids got ready for bed.  It was my favorite.  They circle around and sing and pray and hug each other and crawl into their beds.




Sunday morning was beautiful!  I was in awe as 19 children all got ready for church.  I have had rough times with just a few and this was just incredible.  After breakfast, everyone washed up and the older girls helped the younger girls with hair.  The nannies helped with picking out dresses and clothes.  I tried to help here and there, but there was really no need.  


The tap tap came and a few of us piled into Josie's truck and off to the church we went.

After church we passed out rice and beans and watched the children's choir practice.  It's just the sweetest thing.

Eventually we had to leave.  I kept it together in the bus on the way back to Gertrude's, but once we got there I asked Heather to go to the roof with me.  I had a flood of emotions and I just needed to let those out.  My love for Josie and those children runs deep and we will continue to be a part of each others lives for years to come.  They are all so special.

I was kinda zombie-like for the rest of the day and quite tired.  We headed to Leonard's for dinner and church later in the afternoon.  Leonard's wife and family and just so sweet and I got to see Nadine for a bit that night.  Seth preached a short sermon and Nadine translated, which was super cool.  We handed out rice and beans here too and then headed back to Gertrude's for the night. 
What a great weekend.

I can't seem to make these posts any shorter!  I still have two more days in Haiti to write about and an ADOPTION to get up to date on.  Some days I just don't feel like writing.  I'll get caught up eventually :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment