Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Heartbroken

I've never personally been affected by a natural disaster.  I lived through Hurricane Isabelle years ago.  It was intense, but the destruction I'm seeing in Joplin is beyond anything I've ever seen.

We lived in Joplin for 3 1/2 wonderful years.  Great memories were made, life-long friendships have continued and it breaks my heart to see what a single catastrophy can do to a community. 
I ache for them. 
So far, our friends are alive and well, of which I am so thankful.

What makes my heart swell is what people will do to help in a crisis.  It's happened over and over in this country.  People genuinely want to help other people in need.

Chad and I are heading down there with some friends this weekend.  We're taking whatever supplies we can collect this week and take them to a shelter that needs them.  We'll check on our friends.  It's going to be hard to see a town we loved in ruin.  I can only imagine what we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment