Monday, February 18, 2013

Where my heart lies...

Haiti Day 3 was a little slice of heaven.

What was a very frustrating day for some of the team, as the trip to get supplies took 5 HOURS and they didn't have much time to get the water pump up and running, was, in fact, my favorite day.

My friend, Jamie, told me before I left, as I was in tears about how selfish I felt this trip was, that there would be a moment when I would know why I was suppose to go.
Here are those moment.

He pulled his chair up to my legs and laid his head on my knees. 
Instant tears and a full heart.
You see, that baby pressed against my chest has his heart all wrapped up in mine.  And the little girl leaning into him has the saddest eyes you've ever seen and if you're lucky enough to squeeze a smile from her, you'll feel like you won the lottery.
 

And this smiley face wiggled and giggled her way into my soul.  I will never be the same.

We spent all day here at the orphanage and I had one of these littles by my side the whole time. 
We played with chalk and a few played with my hair.  I got to take some braids out as the girls were having their hair redone that day. 
Mostly I snuggled and loved on as many as I could that day.  I worked a little too putting up some razor wire, but was glad to pass that off to someone else so I could hug another little one.
The children here are joyful and well cared for and loved.  It's such a happy place. 

Their stories are not so happy.  Mothers begging Josie to take the child they can no longer feed.  Or one so desperately wanting their daughter out of a tent city and away from abuse.  Relatives bringing her children whose parents are dying or dead or crazy. 
Their joy radiates from a place of loss and pain.  Their little minds and bodies have had to adjust to a life we can't fathom.  And they laugh.  And play games.  And go to school.  And love each other. And dream and make plans.
I have some big dreams and plans too.  Hope and love can do powerful things!

No comments:

Post a Comment