Wednesday, March 27, 2013

When good things end.

I have had ALOT of jobs in my short adult life...daycare sub in Pensacola, Mary Kay consultant for too many years in Virginia and Joplin, elementary/middle school volleyball and basketball coach in Joplin, ad stuffer for the newspaper in McPherson, YMCA volleyball ref, waterpark admissions, church secretary, my favorite-barista at Kettle Creek, and my latest being CrossFit trainer. 
That's a good bit of experience under my belt.  A lot of people to encounter and work with.  Each one served a very distinct purpose for where we were in our lives and what we felt like I needed to do either to have some time for myself or to add a little to our income.  I can't say I regret any of them. I learned so much from each one about myself and about others.
It is the first time in many years that I will be a one "job" momma. 
Today is the last day that Kettle Creek Coffeehouse will be open and I think I may be in denial about what that means.  For the past two and a half years, I have happily gotten up to work a few morning hours in what quickly became a haven.  I was so excited to start working there.  It seemed like the perfect combination of things I enjoy. Coffee, people, and conversation.  What I didn't anticipate is how quickly I would become attached to the people.

Joan and Walt immediately made me feel at home.  I remember those first few weeks/months of asking Joan how to make this or that, how much certain things were, if we could even fulfill some of the orders customers had.  Soon, it all became second nature and the customers became friends and Joan and Walt became family.  I have spent hours talking with Joan about EVERYTHING.  I am certain we left no stone unturned whether it be family, society, politics, religion and on.  We hit it all over the years.  I couldn't have asked for a better, more understanding and loving person to spend my mornings with.  She loved on my kids, let them feel like Kettle Creek was there second home, and was always accommodating to my often unpredictable life with littles.  She was often the first to hear about sick kids, potential job changes, drama with family or friends, and all things in between.  I will wholeheartedly miss those daily conversations.
The customers, too, became apart of my life.  I looked forward to seeing them each morning, knowing their orders, and talking about our lives.  Eldon was the first to engage in conversation about McPherson football, my kids, his granddaughters and on.  He soon brought Marc, who quickly became and still is a good friend.  Les, recently widowed, was there each morning with a smile, a hug, poetry, art and a beautiful story about his life well lived.  Pat and her sister and mom or her husband spending time chatting and catching up.  Friends would often come in and spend time on the couches, strengthening those relationships.  Business meetings were held, acquaintances became friends, babies were brought in to show off, engagements, marriages, births, deaths and all things in between were shared.  It was a safe, special place for many, myself included. 
I know Joan and Walt are ready to move on to other things and I will be forever thankful that I was a small part of the past few years at Kettle Creek.

It truly has been the best job that never once felt like work.

No comments:

Post a Comment