Thursday, February 17, 2011

Double digits

10.
That's a big number.

He was suppose to be born March 19, which is why when I started having contractions on February 16, I did not think they were legit.

My first baby.
I hadn't take childbirth classes.
I didn't really think I needed to.
My mom was a midwife.  I'd seen enough of the childbirth classes my mom taught to the Amish at our house growing up.
She had this cushy uterus/pelvic thing that she pushed a baby doll through.
No big deal, right?
I also read What to Expect when You're Expecting. 
Does that count as childbirth classes? 
No.

Ok, back to my point.  Which is, you ask??
This guy!

10 years ago, I randomly went into labor over a month before I was suppose to.
I was scared, but oddly calm.
I already had my bag for the hospital packed.
We left for the hospital and then had to go back home to get our camera, which we then forgot at the hospital when we left there a few days later.  Never to be found again.
The only photos we have of Elijah in the hospital are a few the couple next to us took and gave to us on a floppy disk, which I can't put on this computer.  Boo!!


Now, I will tell you that I was pretty upset that I was going into labor so early for one specific reason. 
It's dumb, but I was worried what people would say.
Chad and I had eloped and gotten pregnant IMMEDIATELY. 
Like, I think when he kissed me after my dad pronounced us husband and wife, I was knocked up.
TMI? 
Sorry.
Anywho, now I was having a baby 8 months later. 
Suspicious? 
Yep.
So, for all time and here in the cyber world, I will tell you that Elijah was not illegitimately conceived. 
Just wanted to get that out there.
He will be quite embarrassed someday by this statement.

Again, back to my point...I'm all over the place today...Sorry!
It's cause my #1 is 10 and I'm dying inside.
He was a tiny 6 lbs and 1 oz and perfect. 
He had blonde hair and the bluest eyes. 
His hair has darkened, but those eyes have stayed perfectly blue.
He has challenged every fiber of my being and made me look at the world in a whole new way.  
His presence has made me feel the highest highs and the lowest lows.
And, if I could choose the kind of child to have, I'd choose him.

In honor of the big 10, here are 10 reasons why Elijah is the bomb-diggity. 
I think bomb-diggity should be used more.

10. He is so snuggly.  He loves a good cuddle and I hope he never grows out of that.
9.  He wasn't offended when I told him I thought he looked like an alien when he was born. 
8.  He loves to draw.  If you haven't seen his ceiling and wall in his room, you should.  It's awesome.
7.  He loves to read.  BIG books.  Boy after my own heart. :)
6.  He geniunely HATES to do anything wrong.  This is a double-edged sword.  He sees his world very black and white. 
5.  He and Autumn are best friends.  Don't tell them that cause they'll get mad.
4. He can just as easily play with a friend his own age as he can with his 5 or 2 year old brothers.
3.  He is kind-hearted and considerate of others.
2.  He is a gentle spirit and LOVES all animals, but dogs, wolves and lions the best.
1.  He's stinkin' adorable! :)  Don't believe me? 
Look at these!






Happy Birthday, Elijah!!

2 comments: