Monday, February 14, 2011

VD

No not venereal disease, cause I know that's what you were thinking.
I'm talkin' bout Valentine's Day, people. 
The day of LOVE!!

The DUMBEST pseudo-holiday around. 

And this is coming from someone who has rarely not had a special someone on this day. 
I'm not bragging. 
I'm just making the point that it's not just the people who DON'T have someone to give them chocolate, flowers and sappy cards that think this holiday is dumb.

Now, I have been known to enjoy this day. 
I'm not necessarily the Grinch of VD. 
And, I'm the first to admit that if the hubs DOESN'T at least acknowledge the day in some small way (a flower, a card, or lots of kisses), then I MIGHT get a little snarky. 
It's just the pressure of the "holiday" that bothers me.  It seems that if you don't do anything for your significant other on this day, you're lame or don't REALLY love them. 
I don't need a specific day to tell me that I should tell someone that I love and appreciate them.  I prefer random acts of love, given and received.
Mostly, I see it as an opportunity for the retail sector to survive the dry spell between Christmas and Easter.

So, just in case you were wondering about how I feel about VD, now you know. 
Hope I didn't put a damper on your lovey, dovey, romantic day!
HAPPY VD!!!

2 comments:

  1. I completely, absolutely, 100% agree!! I don't love or hate the day.... I don't think people should have a day on the calendar to treat their loved ones extra special.... It's so commercial! It's probably more fun for those in new relationships, but then my heart breaks for those who don't have anyone on this specific day, because the fact that they are single is thrown in their face. That's about all I have to say about that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! The whole stupid pressure thing if you're not seeing anyone is lame. The most commercial of all, I think.

    ReplyDelete