Friday, February 25, 2011

Exercise

I'm a fan of it. 
Mostly, I think it's great for other people. 
I'm a fan of it, like I'm a fan of eating contests. 
It baffles and amazes me what people can do to or with their bodies.

I'm kidding.  Well, not about the eating contest thing.  Those people are baffling.
I do like exercise.  Somedays I like the idea of it more then the actual doing of it!
In the past 4+ years, I've slowly, but surely made excercise a part of my weekly schedule.  I say weekly, because I don't do it on a daily basis.
There have been times when I'm very focused and intent and do it faithfully.  Then, my schedule gets whacked out or I get lazy and only get myself to the gym once or twice a week.  And, I'm ok with that.

I remember the first spring we had moved to town and I just stood at my window or stared out the car window at an intersection at all the people out running.  All I could think was, "Weird." 
When the weather warms up and even when it isn't warm, people are out.  Running, biking, walking.  I think just seeing that made me think about excercising more.  Not that I did it right away, but I thought about it.
Having Chad working at the Y is obviously a major influence, as well.  Hard to make up too many excuses when you have a free gym membership and child care. 
So, over the years, I've changed.  What I would never have thought I could do or even want to do, I've done.  It has been in microscopic stages at times, but I look back at what I considered a good workout 4 years ago and what I can do now and it's amazing where baby steps will get you.
I did a mini triathlon 2 summers ago. 
 I'm doing an indoor triathlon tomorrow.  I would have NEVER thought I would physically be able to do that, let alone mentally. 

My point is that every little step matters when it comes to exercise.  I have exercise ADD.  I can't do the same thing every day.  I'll quit cause I'm bored.  Know yourself.  It's taken me a lot of trial and error and I still spaz out and don't do anything for days on end sometimes.
You can find couch potato to marathon in 12 week programs, but that's not for everyone.  It's taking the one class that scares you cause you don't think you could do it, that you go to anyway.  It's signing up for a run or tri that makes you have a panic attack just thinking about it.  It's not beating yourself up when you don't work out for a few days.  It's just changing the landscape of how you think about exercise.  It's not an all or nothing deal.
I'll never be an elite athlete, but that's just fine.  Those people make me tired, as I sit in awe, eating my oreos.
I'm a fan of exercise.  Today, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment