Sunday, February 13, 2011

The what ifs...

I left yesterday for a little while to run some errands.
Upon arriving home, I got out of the car and started walking towards the front porch.
Next to the porch, there were several of Autumn's dolls and toys.
"Strange." I thought.
Then I looked up.
Autumn's window was open.
She doesn't have a screen on her window.  It's a constant unsettling feeling.  She is suppose to keep it locked at all times.

I went in the house and told Autumn and Cory to come outside.
Neither of them had done it.
Caleb comes up behind us and says, "I did it."
Well, that mystery is solved.
My heart starts racing, that scary, panicky feeling hits me.
I run upstairs with Caleb into Autumn's room.
There are about 10-15 other things on the roof right outside her window. 
Pictures, books, clothes...
He had unlocked the window and thrown everything in reach out the window.
By God's grace, he didn't get himself out the window.
It's a steep roof.
I climbed out to get all the stuff, then my mind went to all of the what ifs...I had to stop and just hug his little punk, trouble-causing , heart-attack inducing self.

3 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Best not to think the "what if's".... but awfully hard not to as a mommy! So glad it was some safe fun for the little guy, and hope you can laugh at this down the road... I laughed a little, but not sure I'd be very calm in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby Gate. Can you put up a baby gate? Holy Cow!!

    I bet he was talking the entire time we has doing it. Play by play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if...YOU had fallen off the roof while retrieving all the stuff he threw out there? Scary but I'm glad all ended okay. He probably had a great time despite his cluelessnes about the danger of it all. You can add this to your collection of stories to embarrass him with when he grows up. :)

    ReplyDelete