Monday, May 7, 2012

Food

We have plenty of food.  Well, honestly, we've run out or are running out of nearly everything we eat on a regular basis, but we still have plenty of food.
Just not the food we like.
We're so spoiled.
Today my super fab group of friends and my equally super fab big sister started our "7" project today.
Day 1 of the Food Week- I honestly did not know how this would go over.  Some people (ME) are seriously attached to their foods or what I've found, even more attached to their beverage of choice.  (Uh, cough, cough, COFFEE, anyone!)
The choices of foods ranged from protein powder to lima beans.  Coke and coffee to spinach and peanut butter.  Chicken and ground beef to strawberries and apples.

The first few choices were easy, but once you started branching out a bit to the 5, 6, 7th choices, things got rough. 
You had to think about breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks (Hello, this alone is such a luxury it makes me nauseous just thinking about it).  We had to think about combinations.  Did you really want JUST bread?  Do you really want to eat lettuce with NO dressing?  Will strawberries still seem so delicious on day 5? 
It has been interesting to say the least.  I'm proud of our little experimenting group.  Some have slipped, some have held fast, others haven't really chimed in at all and I think they think we're all stupid. No worries, though!

This whole "fasting" and having a group on Facebook to discuss our "fasting" is very Pharisee-ish.  It makes me a bit uncomfortable, actually.  We're doing this as a group so I love the "we're in this together" kind of deal, but I'm not looking to be like a Pharisee either.  Maybe I think it's ok cause my idea of a true fast is when you eat nothing at all for a period of time and I'm not quite brave enough to try that yet.
Who knows.  All I know is I like that I've had to be more conscious today.  I like that it made me do some research on Burundi, often considered the poorest country in the world.
I like that I've had the opportunity to pray for the people of that country and pray for my friends who are in this with me.  I like that I've spent part of today hungry cause I was tired of apples and almonds.  It makes me think of our Haiti children.   What did they eat today?  Did they eat today? 
Perspective is shifting. 
Ultimately, that's what we're going for.  Open our eyes, Lord.  I want to see differently and if that means we eat 7 foods for a few days, so be it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment