Wednesday, January 16, 2013

On why I CrossFit...

Seeing as today is one of those days where I haven't gotten enough sleep, we have sick kids in the house, I haven't worked out in 2 days and I'm not sure that I'll get to it today, and I have munched on a BBQ chicken pizza all afternoon, it's a good time to remind myself and maybe you, as well, why I CrossFit.


One of the things we're taught about is that we are all on a continuum that can range from sickness to wellness to fitness.  Part of the reason I find CrossFit so effective is that I know I am closer to fitness then sickness.  What that means is I've created somewhat of a hedge against chronic sickness.  Now that does not mean, I never get sick.  What it does mean is that on this continuum of health, it will take a disease, a catastrophic injury, or profound and extensive reversal of exercise and nutrition practices to move me past wellness to sickness.
      x---------------------------x---------------------------x
sickness                         wellness                          fitness

Not the best graph, but you get the idea. 

This really helps me remember on days like today when I'm not feeling very "Crossfitty", that all those times I did the workouts when I didn't feel like it, that those mattered to keep moving me towards fitness and health.  And today, if I don't get a workout in, that that's ok, too.  Missing a day here or there, doesn't throw me into disease and sickness.
Our lives as moms and wives and friends and sisters are busy.  Working to move yourself past wellness and towards fitness should be a priority, but it's also important to remember we have a lot of things pulling us different directions and it's a process.  You won't become "fit" in a week or undo any work you've done in a few days.  Steady wins the race here.  We'll all spend a lifetime building that hedge up.

No comments:

Post a Comment