Tuesday, January 29, 2013

One week


In one week, I go again to Haiti.  It feels different this time.  Less unknowns, more excitement for the known.  More work this trip, but opportunities to meet more people and literally have a hand in a project or two. 
The lead up to this trip has been stressful to say the least.  The logistics have been challenging.  Chad will be gone for part of the time I am gone which means we had 2 older unattended children that needed to be taken care of.  It's all worked out thanks to yet, again, the rockstar group of people I get to call friends.  Cory and Caleb will be with my mom, who not only agrees to take care of my babies, but relishes their time together!
To add a little excitement to the buildup, Elijah was sick last week/weekend, Autumn got sick Sunday night (but should be good to go tomorrow), Cory and Caleb got sick last night.  Here is one thing I'm certain of...I have really good sick kids.  They are not overly demanding or whiny.  They want to lay on the couch, watch movies, and drink juice or water.  I snuggle them and give them meds if needed, but mostly they just rest.  I hope this translates to quick recoveries.  I'm fully anticipating getting sick as well, but pray that it is sooner rather then later.
I had a bit of a meltdown this afternoon.  I may have another one later just for good measure.  It's a complicated mess of feelings and emotions.
I truly cannot explain the attachment I have to Haiti.  It is bizarre even to me.  It does not seem foreign when I'm there.  It feels a little like home. I "joke" that I would move there if I could, when in reality, it's no joke.  I feel like we have children there in some manner.  Not yet adopted/sponsored/mentored.  Something.  I wish I could put better words to these feelings.  They are elusive, but I know I can cry in an instant thinking about it.
So in one week, I go.  And I'll come back to my well cared for babies, my ultra capable husband and another little piece of my heart left behind in Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment