Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Playing catch up

Always, I'm "catching up."
Catching up on laundry, dishes, sleep(impossible to do), paperwork, blogging, with friends.
I've got to rephrase this.  Catching up means I'm behind, which in reality, I'm not really.  Being behind suggests there is some standard to keep up with and I'm just not a fan of standards that create guilt.
And so rather than say I'm catching up on the blog, I'll just say I'll inform you of the goings on of the past few days!! Better right?   


It's always tough to follow the last post.  Where do I go from there?
On, I guess.


A few things on my mind...
Saturday was the 3 year anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti.  Images and emotions were tough, especially having been there since the quake.  The organization Help One Now that we had helped support through Pure Charity broke ground on the school that day, as well.  A beautiful full circle moment for those affected by the earthquake.


I leave for Haiti in 3 weeks.  I am excited and a little anxious.  This will be a very different trip.  No Chad, which will be difficult and very different experiences, as well.  We'll be going to a children's hospital, Mother Teresa's Home for the Dying, putting on a VBS for some children in a village and working at a couple orphanages.
It will be a full week with very little communication to and from home.  I have to keep telling myself, we're all going to be ok.


Elijah is part of a scholars program at school.  As part of this, each student was given an Ipod Touch.  Why?  I still don't know.  One, because Elijah declined his because he said he didn't need it. HUH?? Who does that?  And two, because we haven't gotten any information from the school regarding it unless that info only came home with kids who took the Ipod.  I asked Elijah what they were suppose to be using it for and he said so they could do research and educational things at home if they needed to.  I'd like to know the % of kids that do not have internet access at home, in which this would be a useful tool to have.  I'm guessing it's 0%.  My other thought is I think it's my decision whether my child gets a device that has internet access.  Who is regulating the use of these?  I asked Elijah what apps kids had on their Ipod's.  NBA Access.  Sports apps. Games.
Really?  So very educational.  I love it that he declined it.  He is not moved by the masses.  I adore that about him.  And I kinda want him to bring it home so I can play with it cause apparently I can get some sweet games on them. :)



I went to Vegas, had a blast, met some awesome people, absorbed a ton of CF info, and PASSED THE TEST!  I'm officially a CrossFit Level 1 Trainer.  Sounds fancy, huh?  It's the only title I've ever had!
And along those lines, this gym thing is rockin'!  We're up to 28 members!  It's an awesome group to work with and we're loving the community these people are creating with us.

Our car is still in MO.  It's become quite the episode.  We're getting a totally "new" engine.  Used, but new.  44000 miles on it, which is quite the upgrade.  What this means is it will hopefully run for years to come.  Going on 3 weeks now without it and it's been fine.  Thankfully, we've done the 1 car thing for years so it hasn't been too traumatic or inconvenient. 

I think that may be it.  And now you're informed! :)

 

1 comment:

  1. We're going to be better than okay...Look at me being the calm one! It's just happened within the past week that I am way more excited than anxious. Don't worry, you'll get another chance. I'm certain my craziness is not gone for good!
    Um, yeah, that ipod thing brings all sorts of questions.
    Sorry about the car.
    3 Weeks!

    ReplyDelete