Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Video games

I don't mind video games per se.

I've played a good bit in my lifetime. As a kid, I beat Ms. Pacman on our Atari. It was awesome and I know I spent ALOT of hours perfecting my moves. I don't think I was harmed by my time playing.

We bought one of those old school plug in atari games awhile back. It was awesome cause it had Ms. Pacman and Galaga, which brought back sweet memories for both Chad and I.

I guess the kids liked it too :)

So why am I so NOT for getting a gaming system??

What I mind is what I know will be the endless requests to play said video games. It's annoying and it frustrates me cause I'd rather they were playing outside or being creative independently. This thought is all well and good in the utopia that is my mind, but reality tends to be different.
I'm sure we'd have fun with it. There might even be some "bonding". I just don't want to take the plunge. We've held off for so long!

So here's my dilemma...
Elijah has been saving up for quite awhile for a Wii. He was SURE 100% that is what he wanted so he didn't spend his money on silly things that break after a minute or stuff he didn't REALLY want. We told him that we would pay half after we moved into the new house.

Now, I am trying like CRAZY to convince him that he doesn't REALLY want a Wii.

Bad mom?

Quite possibly.

He's got a good chunk of change and I'm so proud of him for knowing what he wanted and saving for it diligently. So, now, I feel like I'm manipulating the situation a little. I really don't have ANY desire to have a Wii or any video game in our house. I don't mind if they play it...just somewhere else.

I just don't want to hear the never-ending requests to play, or the fights over what to play or whatever else comes with getting something like this.
And, I'm slightly morally opposed to it, I think. In my mind, it could very well be the one thing that starts to destroy the fabric of our family!!

I may be slightly dramatic about that point...just a little.

But seriously, I'd much rather they play games outside, ride their bikes, climb trees, etc, etc.

Maybe we'll get one in the winter when we're all stuck inside anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment