Thursday, December 15, 2011

Good grief

My grandpa died Monday night.  My mom's dad.  He was in great health.  Active, spry, no cancer, no major health issues.  He died in his sleep.  No warning.  No, "I don't feel good."  He had bought new shoes that day.  
I'm so painfully sad for my mom and my grandma and my aunt and uncle.  My grandpa had his faults like the rest of us.  He and my mom knocked heads at times.  He was not always nice to her.  But, wow, was he loved by all of us. 
He was funny and silly and generous.  He always smelled like coffee and always wanted a kiss on the cheek.  It made his hearing aid squeal and he thought that was just a riot.  We all did too.  He was stubborn and outdoorsy and handy.  He loved my grandma like crazy.  He was quick to share his opinion and quick to give a hug.  He will be so very missed. 
It makes me think about losing my dad which is kind of silly maybe.  I have a really great dad and I just cannot even fathom what it will be like to lose him.  My heart hurts for my mom who is now without her daddy. 
Blah!  
Death and holidays are no bueno.  Death and any time of year is hard, but holidays...ugh!
A few other things have hit this week.  Our Katie had a rough weekend and is dealing with some seriously hard stuff.  I hurt for her.  A good friend is in the hospital with some health problems.  Several friends are struggling with what has been given them. 
I just want people I love to be healthy and well, happy and whole.   
What's always amazing about all of this is that our lives march on.  My life, my mom's, Katie, others...it just keeps moving along.  

Grief is a powerful force and not one easily overcome.  I've seen it so often wrapped up in a little package and quietly carried by those who grieve. 
I'm not entirely sure it ever leaves you. 
And in all of this we all have so much to be thankful for.  Grief and gratitude seem to be the best of friends.

1 comment: