Friday, December 30, 2011

The rest of the story...

The previously blogged incident went down something like this...
After a grueling 2 hours of Dahlke bowling in which I lost my 2 years running bowling title, we were standing around returning shoes, chatting, etc.  There was an arcade area in the bowling alley and the little kids had been playing in there for some time when one of them came running over and said, "We have a problem.  Caleb is stuck in one of the games."
My brother Gabe was closest so he walked over only to return a few seconds later and said to me, "Yeah, we have a situation.  You may want to come."
I walked over completely unsure of what I would  find. 
What I found was Caleb INSIDE the crane vending game desperately clutching a couple stuffed balls and crying.  He was sitting on the edge of the retrievel bucket looking completely pathetic.
My first thought was that he wasn't going to come out without those balls and I knew I couldn't get him out holding them so I had him drop them down and took those out.
For once in his life, he followed instructions very well.  I had him stand at the back of the bucket and then sit so his legs were out and under the door.  Then I did what any rational person would do...I pulled.
He had to lay completely on his back and turn his head to the side to get it under the door which I was pushing up on.
After some more tears and hugs, I asked him if he was scared (cause he sure looked scared!).  He, of course, said, "No. I just wanted you."
And the real kicker after this whole ordeal, when I asked him if he wanted those balls that he went up into that thing to get he said, "No.  I want different ones." 
REALLY?!?!?!
So, I returned the balls to the bowling alley and we buzzed on out of there with no prize, no picture and nothing but the image of him in a big plastic box sitting on top of all those stuffed animals with tears running down his chubby cheeks seared into my brain!

1 comment:

  1. You are killing me. This will be one of those infamous stories he will NEVER live down. One of his siblings will probably mention it in a toast at his wedding. Thanks for the laugh! (And I'm so glad he got out safely!)

    ReplyDelete