Monday, March 26, 2012

Weary

I went to my parent's house this weekend. I have spent the past few weeks weary, worn, too tired to do dishes, cook a meal, or be happy.  It took so much effort to smile, to be kind.
I can't even tell you a good reason why I felt that way.  I just did.
Even as a grown woman, mother to 4, I sometimes need my mom, my dad, their home.
My mom has mentioned a few times this book she had recently read.  Just in passing.."You need to read this."  Sure, sure.  I love a good book.
Friday morning I woke up, curled up in their recliner and rarely left it most of the day.  I read.  I'm not even done with the book and it has changed me. 
A Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.
Gratitude.
Eucharisteo.
Give thanks.
She took a challenge to list a thousand thank yous.  It changed her from a bitter, angry woman who had alot to be bitter about in her past to a grateful, God-seeing, thanks-giving woman.  She writes beautifully, powerfully.  She is honest about the struggles of life and doesn't sugar-coat the fact that it's nearly impossible to be thankful in ALL circumstances, but that it is possible.
It's given me much to think on. 
Eucharisteo.
I'm going to practice it.

No comments:

Post a Comment