Thursday, March 1, 2012

Warning

I'm talking about sex in this post...

I don't usually go on record to voice my stance on the issues that are currently running through our political system.
There is one that keeps coming up in the news that I have pretty strong feelings about...birth control as a health issue.
Let me start this off with saying that I know there are genuine health problems that birth control pills are used for treating and I do not consider that equivalent to taking birth control pills to prevent pregnancy.  Two different issues, as far as I'm concerned. 
My issue, I suppose, is that we are essentially legislating sex.  I do have a problem with that.  Since when was sex included in our inalienable rights?  It is a choice, not a right. How I choose to conceive or prevent conception should be on my financial shoulders.  Not the American public.

I honestly think that we must insist that as a society we understand that with this CHOICE comes responsibility, instead of essentially, saying, "Go for it.  We got your back.  We'll pay for your bc pills, we'll provide you with abortions, we'll treat your STD's and we'll make sure you don't have to deal with an unwanted baby all so you can keep having sex any which way you want." 
I am not just speaking to those who are promiscous, either.  I'm talking to the married folk, the "committed" relationship people, the youth, the adults, everyone.

If I myself choose to have sex, then I must bear the responsibility, whether that be a child, STD, emotional baggage and all the good stuff too, that comes with that choice. 
Why does my employer and therefore, the American public, need to bear the weight of my choice.  If I take bc pills to prevent pregnancy, but I cannot afford those pills on my own, then maybe I shouldn't be having sex.  And I know this is shocking, but there other ways to prevent pregnancy and STD's then a pill.
Again, if I have a health issue that birth control pills relieve, that is a different topic all together. 
It is truly just baffling to me that we have become a society that has allowed our Congress to be so intimately involved in our sex lives.  Oh, I know, it's a women's health issue.  Bull.
It is another case of entitlement.  Pay for my pills so I can have sex without responsibility. 
I know that it's not quite this cut and dry, but it's much more cut and dry then people want to make it.  And it makes me a little batty when it constantly comes back to a "women's health issue."  It's a choice issue.  It's a responsibility issue.  It's a sex education issue, as in don't have sex unless you can be responsible for the results of that action.
I absolutely understand that there are fierce opponents to my opinions.  People get nasty about this kind of thing.  Don't be messin' with my sex life-kind of nasty.  I don't want to mess with your sex life, in fact, I'd like you to keep that all to yourself, including the monetary cost of your choices.
We shouldn't be covering birth control unless there is a medical condition.  Not wanting to get pregnant is NOT a medical condition.  Just watch...next we're going to be required to pay for boob jobs because it's a womens health issue. 
And, I'm now stepping down off my soap box and resuming my quiet life. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more. Keep your soapbox handy, you may need it again sometime with the way everything is going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, for one, would be okay with boob jobs being a woman's health issue. :)

    ReplyDelete