Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter

I really love Easter for alot of reasons, but this year it kinda feels like it just came and went. I wasn't "in to it" like I have been in the past. Not sure why really. I love it for what it means for my faith.
I get a little nostalgic around Easter too. It was a great holiday at my house growing up. Lots of family, food, and my mom's beautiful china. It only came out 4 times a year(Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and Easter) and as much as I think I complained about setting the table and the dozen times I asked which side the forks went on, I loved it. It was simple and lovely with a singe long stem rose on it. I tried to get each plate to line up just right so the roses were all aligned the same. We all got to drink out of real crystal wine glasses too, although I don't remember but once or twice my parents drinking wine.
Oh eggs. Egg hunts are a ridiculous tradition really, but it doesn't get old(til the third or fourth time) watching them look for those eggs. As my siblings and I got older, the whole egg hunt thing got complicated with some older and some younger kids so they started doing 2 hunts. One for the youngers with lots of eggs with candy or coins in them. The other was a hunt for THE MONEY EGG. Some years there was just the one egg that they hid ridiculously hard and other years they hid a bunch but only one had the mother lode in it. And, by mother lode I mean, maybe $15-20 bucks. Serious cash.
I only found it once over the years, but victory was sweet since I dethroned my brother Josh who had found it several years in a row. Good memories. We're all so spread out now that we're older, it's been years since any of us have been together at Easter. Makes me sad a little. Sometimes I get jealous of those that have their families close by, but that's a whole other post...
Happy Easter!!

1 comment:

  1. I thought the "Holiday" part zipped by this year too. Literally I saw all of Easter stuff at the store and I thought, "I've got lots of time." Then I forgot. Ooops

    ReplyDelete