Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Travel

I LOVE road trips! With kids, without kids, 4 hours, 20 hours. I'll do it! Pretty sure it's my mom's fault that I like to drive so much. As kids, we'd load up and drive down to my aunt's house outside New Orleans or take family trips to other family. I loved it and I still do.

I'm going to Fargo, ND with a friend this weekend and I'm so looking forward to it. Crazy, right? What's so enjoyable about driving for 11 hours with 4 kids? At times, it's not enjoyable at all, BUT...

There is something soothing to me about the scenery passing by. "There's nothing the road cannot heal" is a favorite lyric from a Bright Eyes song. It's so true for me. In between the chaotic times with kids, there are those silent times that my mind can wonder, dream, pray, think. I've written books (in my head), said thousands of prayers, found answers to questions, and had opportunities to talk with my kids or friends in those hours.

I know people who HATE driving and a part of me can see the reasoning, but I don't think I'll ever be one of those people. It's so exciting to me to load the car up all organized (for the 5 minutes til the kids claw through everything), fill my coffee travel mug, say a prayer and hit the road.

So, who's up for a road trip...? I'll be up for one as soon as I make it back from Fargo! :)

5 comments:

  1. Ok, 1. Your picture is bEEEautiful! 2. I do not share your love for the open road...or really any road for that matter. 3. You make it sound wonderful...still I am cautious. 4. Are you going to travel to Fargo...decide you love it...come back load up your family are relocate?? 5. Cause I hate saying goodbye to friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH!!! I can't wait to road trip too. I love it! I can't wait to talk for 11 hours.. :)
    I think Jamie has a GREAT idea.. you decide to love it and move there too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Thank you :) 2. and 3. I think we need to road trip together. Want to go to Fargo? :)
    4. And no, I will not be moving to Fargo. 5. I hate goodbyes too!

    Amy- Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a fun and safe trip!! Hope you don't mind that I'm "blog stalking" you now too!! :) Really, I love that you are blogging! It's so fun, theraputic, and a bit addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blog-stalk away! It is so fun!!

    ReplyDelete