Sunday, January 16, 2011

Potty training

It's one of those necessary aspects of motherhood. 
There are books and websites and advice galore about how to potty train your child in 6 hours, 6 days, 12 minutes, etc (I might be exaggerating on that last one).
I think it's all ridiculous.  No kid is going to be potty trained unless they decide that somehow their lives will be improved by it.
Kinda like an alcoholic who decides to stop drinking. 
It's got to be on their terms.
So basically, I don't go all crazy about the potty training thing.  About the time I get sick of paying for diapers or pull ups and I remember to stick him on the toilet every 30 minutes, is when I potty train.
Usually that coincides with an ability to communicate on their part.
And then there was this guy..

Enter: Caleb
Age: 2 years 6 months
Vocabulary level: 4 year old (I'm just guessing on that one)
Ability to understand instruction: Excellent
Ability to communicate: Excellent
Time since I have become tired of buying diapers: 4 months
Potty trained: Negative.

Stupid potty training.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, I'm convinced the reason they don't potty train for a couple or (in our case) a few years...it gives us time to positively fall in love with these little people. They might not survive otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We might go for the alphabet idea...
    I asked Caleb earlier if he needed to go potty. His response, "Maybe."
    What 2 yo says that!!
    Or, "I just went."
    I think I need to send him away so I don't ruin his genius. :)

    ReplyDelete