Thursday, March 10, 2011

A still small voice...

It never ceases to amaze me the range of emotions that humans can both experience themselves and evoke in others.
It seems we are all to often negatively motivated to appreciate what we have, embrace those we love, and live the life we dream.  This regularly comes in the form of an illness or death.  Tragedy makes us think, evaluate, try harder.
I have seen, heard and experienced truly tragic events.  Those experiences have changed me.  Even the ones that I was not directly affected by.  Those made me pause.  Hug my children one extra time and tell my husband I love him with a little more emotion.
This past week has again shown me what tragedy can do.  It weaken us with sadness and sorrow, and for some, eventually opens our eyes to a loving God who carries us through those tragedies.
A staff member at the Y passed away unexpectedly early this week.  She was just 43 with 2 young children.
And, then we found out just yesterday that Chad's brother-in-law's brother lost their 1 year old son in a bathtub accident.
There are cancers raging through nearly every family I know in some shape or form.
They are all truly tragic and heartbreaking.  I don't know that we have words to express those kinds of emotions for the families.

And still, in all of this and in one beautiful, miraculous event, I am reminded that joy and love and seeing God's hand in the impossible can be just as motivating!

My dear friend, Jamie, in a matter of 3 days went from being a busy mom of 2, wife to a great husband, friend to many, and so much more to finding out she would now be all those things AND a mother to another sweet baby!  They are adopting a baby.  A baby she didn't know about on Wednesday, but will, God-willing, be bringing home in a matter of days or weeks.  The joy in her and her husband is palpable.  It's contagious.  The way it all transpired was nothing short of a miracle.  This baby will be loved beyond it's wildest dreams!
A baby getting a beautiful chance at a wonderful life makes me think and pray and do all those things just as much and as fully as those tragedies do, but in such a better way.
It's made me listen to that small voice that is always trying to show me the beautiful, the lovely in this world, in spite of the tragedies. 
There are so many inspiring events, both huge like an adoption and small, like the way my little guy says, "I lub you". 
I only hope my eyes are more opened to them daily!
 

2 comments: