Monday, February 20, 2012

Letter

I was able to get an email address to Nadine, who is Pastor and Lucy's daughter...here is the letter I wrote to her.  Some day, I hope our Haiti babies will be able to read this and see that they were loved long before they came to us!
***************************************************
Our families have a long history together. My grandparents, Willie and Marge Dahlke were missionaries in Haiti years ago and got to know your parents very well. Since that time my parents, Pastor Jim and Claudia Dahlke, have been in touch with Pastor and Lucy and many others in the Lutheran Church in Haiti over the years. I can't tell you how my family hurt for yours when we heard of your father's death. I grew up hearing stories of his faithfulness and courage in spreading the Gospel in Haiti and our family grieved for your family and for all those in Haiti who lost such a wonderful man.

From a very early age, I loved Haiti. I will never forget meeting Israel and Thomas when they came to the seminary. I was just a young girl, but loved them immediately and they were so good natured in letting me hold their hands, sit on their laps and love on them.
Many years have passed and I have been married to Chad for almost 12 years and we have 4 children-Elijah is 11, Autumn is 9 (her middle name is Nadine!), Cory is 6 and Caleb is 3. We are very blessed!
From early on in our marriage, we would occasionally talk about adopting at some point. For many years, it was simply talk and no more. Recently, however, we felt moved to act and begin the process of adoption.
Haiti is where my heart is. This may sound strange, but I have often prayed for our children there. I did not know who they were, where they lived or even if they were born yet! What I did believe is that they were meant to be ours. We have an open heart and home to bring a sibling group of any ages to our home in Kansas.
With the history my family has with yours, I felt it only right to send you a letter and not only tell you of our plans, but to ask for your prayers and any assistance you may be able to give us as we go through this process. My mother mentioned that your husband, George, is a lawyer and may be able to offer some advice as to the adoption process.
We have not yet chosen an agency to work with. If you know of any that have worked directly with the orphanage in Les Cayes, we would love to know which ones those are. If you have any insight into the children or family units that are at the orphanage, schools or churches, we would love your guidance in that matter, as well.
I would love to keep in touch with you as we continue on. My father is planning a trip to the teach at the seminary this summer and I have hopes to travel with him.
If I am able, I would love to speak with you in person at that time.


God's blessings,







2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. Very well written. Shows your heart. I love every word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm so nervous to get a response. I've checked my email every 5 minutes today...

    ReplyDelete