Monday, February 13, 2012

There is a stirring...

in my soul.
I first fell in love with Haiti at an early age.  My grandparents were missionaries there and helped bring men to the US to go to seminary training so they could go back to Haiti as pastors and spread the Gospel to their people.
I must have been 8 or 9 when I first met Israel and Thomas, 2 young men going to seminary in Fort Wayne, IN. 

Oh, I loved them at first sight.  I was particularly draw to Israel.  He had the most beautiful smile and he didn't mind that I wanted to always hold his hand or hug him.
I met these 2 men just so very briefly, but our family has always kept in touch with friends in Haiti who are involved with the Lutheran church there. 
Haiti Lutheran Mission Society is an organization here in the states that raises money specifically for the Lutheran church in Haiti. They help fund 5 churches, 4 schools, an orphanage, a medical clinic, and a seminary. My dad has gone to their seminary in Port Au Prince twice to teach a course. 
There has always been a part of me that loves this little country so ravaged by corruption, violence, disease and poverty.  I grew up hearing beautiful stories of God's grace in the lives of many of those we know there. 
Chad and I have talked over the years on and off about adoption.  It's always been talk.  No action. 
There is a good bit of fear of the unknown when you start walking down this path.  Lots of questions.

How can we afford this?
How will it affect our children?

Will we be able to raise them faithfully?
I have thought about adopting from Haiti forever.  This may sound completely crazy, and I can't even say it without crying, but I believe we have children in Haiti that are meant to be ours.  I always have.  And I do mean children, not child.  Siblings, cousins, more then one.
I so desperately want to bring them home.  I have prayed for them for years. 

Every few months, I am just overcome with emotion about them.  Different things trigger it.  This particular time was a book my sister Ang gave me. 
Please read it.  It's called Kisses from Katie and it's by Katie Davis.  If it doesn't make you cry and move you to do something, anything for the millions of poverty-striken children of the world, I don't know what will.  It is an enormous testament of God's faithfulness and power when we say yes.
This idea of actually adopting is very foreign to my husband.  He's a planner, details kind of guy and the amount of money it would cost concerns him.  We've talked again about just taking the first steps.  Getting as much information as we can now.  Praying alot.  Getting in touch with those we know in Haiti.
I'm so nervous and emotional about this.  We will have to do some saving and fundraising.  I think we both agree that the idea of adoption only makes us pause because of the money.  I don't want that to be the thing that stops us so we'll pray and work and save and take those first steps...who knows what doors God will open.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing. Really, really amazing. And I believe that God has big things in store for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many words.. So many tears. You are meant for greatness in the future. My prayers and support are with you 110%

    ReplyDelete
  3. Want to hear something weird? My friend Dawn is in the process of adopting from Ethiopia. The agency they are using also works with Haiti. I emailed her to get some contact info for you and she told me that Haiti has lifted some of their requirements (such as no more than 2 bio kids) because there is such a need for families for children over 3 and sibling groups. Coincidence?? I think not...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds incredible....if it's meant to be, God will open all of the doors :) Love ya friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty amazing Sarah! You and Chad have such kind souls. I know that you could offer such a loving home for these children. I think you are being so smart about it and taking it one step at a time and that your fears and worries are very real. God will help guide you and your family through this process! Will pray for you and this situation! Love ya....Staci

    ReplyDelete