Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11

I remember.
I was 20, almost 21 with a 7 month old baby, just trying to survive the day to day.
Chad was in the the Navy and we lived in Virginia Beach, VA.
He was at work already, I had just gotten out of bed and flipped on The Today Show, expecting to see the usual morning segments that don't really matter.
I saw the burning tower and turned up the sound.
I saw the plane fly into the second tower. I turned to each of the other news stations. It was just total shock from everyone. What was happening?
I think my heart stopped for a second and then started racing. They said there may be other planes. Maybe in the DC area.
We were so close to DC. Chad worked at the largest naval base in the world.
I grabbed the phone and tried to call Chad. The base was on lock down and I couldn't get through.
Panicking, I called my sister in Fl. Told her to turn on the TV.
The towers collapsed and I sat and watched and watched and prayed.
Chad finally called after lunch. He didn't know when he'd be able to leave.
I can't write about that day without crying.
I remember the days, weeks, months after that. Constant coverage, 24/7. I wondered when each news channel would take the first step and cover something else.
They did eventually.
We've all moved on.
You have to.
But it's good to remember.

1 comment:

  1. I was coming out of the fitness center and Luke was taking to Bob O'neal the owner about how a plane crashed into the Pentagon. Mom, Seth and Isaac had walked to Smitty's Cafe already. I remember walking down the street with Luke as he explained to me what happened and how it was possible the Pentagon could be attacked.. I thought that was impossible... We then spent most of the day in front of the Tv and praying..

    ReplyDelete