Thursday, September 23, 2010

I'm back.


What a roller coaster!

The last several days have wiped me out, but as with most things that are in the dark, there are inevitably flashes of beautiful light.

Due to the ENORMOUS generosity of a dear friend who is a flight attendant, I flew out of Kansas City early Sunday to Virginia for a dear friend's funeral.

I couldn't leave til after Chad's football game Saturday day, though.

This is where the roller coaster started!!

UP, UP, UP...

It was a FANTASTIC game! We beat the #7 team in the nation with near perfect precision.

I'm a little bias, but the game plan was spot on :) I loved seeing Chad grin ear to ear on the field after the game.

DOWN, DOWN, DOWN...

Right after the game, I raced home, unpacked all our tailgating stuff, packed up what I needed for the trip and loaded up Autumn, Cory and Caleb. We kissed Chad and Elijah and took off for KC at 11:15 p.m.

I made it to KCI at 3:30 a.m. and tried to park in the parking garage and sleep for awhile. Caleb woke up, which woke Autumn and Cory up, which means I didn't sleep. So I drove around the airport for awhile, got gas, and the kids fell back asleep.

I parked and slept for about 20 minutes before my parents called and they met me outside the airport to take the kids. I got on my 6:00 a.m. flight and slept all the way to DC.

Can you say TIRED???
UP... I was tired, but during my flight from DC to Norfolk, I sat next to a very kind Navy admiral and had a great conversation with him.

and UP, UP, UP again...

My sister-in-law and neice picked me up. It was so nice to see them! I was able to take a nap at their house and then head to the visitation.

UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN...

I haven't seen our friends for probably 6 years and I was so happy to see them. And so sad for why I was able to...

UP, UP...I went back to my brother-in-law and sister-in-law's house and had a super fun evening chatting and drinking a good bit of wine.

DOWN...Went to the funeral Monday at noon.

UP...spent the afternoon with my relatives, saw my neice do gymnastics, visited with my other sister-in-law, neice and nephew in the area, and spent most of the night with the Stroyecks, cathing up and remembering their mother.

I left on Tuesday feeling thankful and sad. So thankful that I was able to go and reconnect with a family that is so dear to me, visit some familyAND have a few short, but restful nights of sleep without a certain 2 year old waking me up!
On my way home, I think God decided I need just a little pick-me-up. I was suppose to fly out on a 9:15 flight, but didn't make it in time so I was put on an 11:35 flight which ended up being delayed so I would have missed my connection in Philadelphia. I wasn't worried about it cause I really do enjoy hanging around an airport. Great people watching :)
So as I'm waiting for my now 1:30 flight to board, I notice a woman that I thought I saw at Linda's funeral. I wasn't sure so I didn't say anything, but she thought the same thing and DID say something to me.
Long story, short...She was Linda's very best friend who had moved away from Virginia a few years before we moved there. I had heard about her, but never met her. We were able to sit next to each other on our flight and spent our layover together as our gates were right next to each. It was such a joy to talk with her and I feel like God just orchestrated my delays and flight changes so we could meet.
So glad to be home!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it through to the end of the ride. I also love people watching at airports. :D I love you and will talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got to go. You have such a great perspective to be able to find the "up" in and with the "down" - not everyone can do that, you know!

    ReplyDelete