Monday, October 3, 2011

Distressed

I may be going overboard here in a bit...I'm looking to do some distressing.  NOT to be confused with de-stressing.  I have to do that on a daily basis.
This distressing thing though is new to me.  I've always ignored the whole distressing home decor stuff.  It just hadn't ever appealed to me much. 
I love clean, shiny surfaces.
Flawless paint jobs.
Immaculate finishes.

And then, I opened my eyes and realized my style is distressed whether I want it to be or not. 
Every piece of furniture is beat up, banged up, chipped, dented, etc, etc.
So then I got this swell idea to just go with it. 
Embrace it!
So I started doing some research.  This distressing thing is apparently very "chic".  I have settled on the "look" I want.
Ready for it...

"Old World" 
Sounds nice doesn't it?  If I had a interior decorating bone in my body, I think it would be cool since our house is, in fact, OLD.
But since I don't have an ounce of interior decorating abilities, it will probably just turn out lame, but I'm gonna give it a go.
First 2 things on my list to distress:

Piano-To say it's in rough shape is an understatement.  It's nearly in the old world so might as well push it over the edge.

Kitchen cabinets-This may take some gumption ( I love that word!). I spent HOURS last year heat gunning all the previous paint off and HOURS priming and painting them a deep chocolate.  I love them.  Kinda.  They are beat up, broken.  And dirty.  I'll have to put some thought into the colors, but I think it would work.
My cabinets are basically this color now so it wouldn't take too much to get this look.

This one is a bit more distressed and I like that alot. 

Well, I guess that's not much of a list, huh?
I have home projects on the brain!  More to come later.
DISCLAIMER:  I might possibly be known for talking about doing a project and even starting it, but never actually finishing it. 
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

1 comment:

  1. The "distressed" look seems to fit you perfectly! Ok, maybe that didn't come out right, but you know what I mean!! ;) I'm with you on the starting (or thinking about starting) a project and not finishing it...that's why a married a "finisher". Excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete