Monday, October 10, 2011

I can't win...

I am rather accustomed to being the primary caretaker in our family.  I prefer it this way, for now.  It works for us.  The hubs is good at jumping in when he's home.  These football months, that's less to none, but we manage.
Now, you know I'm laying all that out there because I have a terrible story about how much I dislike being the primary caretaker for months on end, right?
Chad had a faraway away game on Saturday which meant he left early Friday and got back late Sunday.  Nothing too crazy.  Just meant a couple full days.  I intentionally planned a few things to do to keep the peeps occupied.  Friday we did a movie and pizza at home, Saturday we hit a couple garage sales and then were going to go to an Octoberfest at a local church.  First, though I had to stop at our church for a few hours and do the bulletins for Sunday.
Kids played great, kept themselves occupied for 2+hours while I worked. 
As I was finishing up, I took the bulletins out to the sanctuary and walking back, I heard running water...At which point I told Autumn to go check the nursery bathroom to see if someone left the sink on.  As Autumn walked away, Caleb says, "I did it."
Autumn yells, "MMMOOOOOMMMMM!"
I go into the nursery to see water pouring out of the sink onto the floor which already has an inch of standing water in it.  I turned off the faucet and still heard water.
Ran downstairs to find water POURING out of the stove vent, light fixtures and ceiling in the basement kitchen.  The kitchen has several inches of standing water already.  The amount of water was staggering.
Without hyperventilating, I grabbed towels and mops from the cleaning closet.  First, I yelled for everyone to go outside, of course.
An hour later, we had managed to get all the water cleaned up.  I made a few phone calls to inform those who needed to know what had happened and now I wait. 
Wait to see how much damage my 3 year old managed to do.
Those are the moments, I really wish I wasn't the primary caretaker.

2 comments:

  1. Floodomanic - def. one who compulsively floods things at every possible opportunity. I think you have documented proof that this condition does in fact exist. Better water than fire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I hear you! My life is mostly primary caretaker stuff with Brian being gone at least 24 hours at a time, and it NEVER fails that the worst things happen when he's at work (kid with a concussion, no heat in the worst freeze of the winter, no plumbing with company coming, car broken down when we're thirty miles from home, etc.) You're an amazing mom!!!! And these will be the things your kids remember years down the road. And mostly they'll remember how well you handled it!!!

    ReplyDelete