Sunday, October 30, 2011

Embarrassed much?

I really thought I was beyond being embarrassed by my children.  The more kids we had and the experience with their actions gives moms a thick skin...hopefully.
3 year olds are unpredictable.  They say inappropriate things at inappropriate times, do things that are obnoxious and act completely random most of the time. 
Right? 
That's what 3 year olds do, right? 
Or is that just my 3 year old? 
Don't tell me if your 3 year old doesn't do those things.  I prefer living in denial.
So our 3 year old is precocious, gregarious, obnoxious, (how many more -ious words can I come up with?).
He often says things that would drop a first time mom to her knees in embarrassment.
Not me, though. 
I've been toughened by the years. 
I'm hardcore. 
I know they won't be 3 forever and will eventually learn what to say and do in the correct manner.
I'm also a liar.  Well, at least about the whole tough and hardcore thing.
Scenerio--Sunday morning during Sunday School.  Caleb is going into a preschool class for the first time.  He has promised he will not talk the whole time and listen to the teacher.  First 20 minutes seemed to go fine.  Then, I hear his little feet stomping towards the fellowship hall where adult Bible class is going on.  At the doorway, he YELLS, "Mom, MOM, I need to go potty!!" At which point, he just turns and runs back out of the hall, yelling.
I, of course, just smile at everyone as we walk to the bathroom.
You think that's it?  Oh, no.  We're not done yet.
Fast forward to church...Caleb is sitting by Chad in his usual squirrely, loud manner. 
He talks the whole service.  Every week.  People are just used to it. 
This week, though, somehow Chad lets him out of the pew on the side aisle. 
Caleb takes off around the back pews and is RUNNING down the middle aisle ALL THE WAY to the front and around the FRONT PEWS. 
At this point Chad has gone down the side aisle to cut him off so Caleb turns and RUNS back up the MIDDLE AISLE!  I wait til he passes my pew and then cut him off from going back down the middle aisle.  Chad grabs him and heads outside. 
It did not go well for Caleb, at that point.
I was calm as could be.  I don't think I made any horrific facial expressions.  Just shook my head a little. 
Inside, I was DYING.  Seriously, so embarrassed.  Everyone in our church is so nice, but I was out of there before the service was over so I didn't have to talk to anyone.
Guess he won this round.  I was sure I was beyond embarrassment.
Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment