Sunday, November 13, 2011

25

11/12/11-Luke would be 25. 
What would he be doing?  He was a creator, thinker, doer.  He and his best friend had a lawn care business as kids.  He was always trying to come up with the next great idea.  My mom was sure he would be a millionaire.  Few doubted that.
It's when I think of those things that I think it's truly unfair that he was taken so young.  He had plans, things to do, girls to have swoon over him, mountains to move.  He had the faith to move them.
What's so shocking at times, is that he will never age in my mind.  He will always be 14, 15, 16.  Not 17, 18, or 25.  I can only speculate who he would have been.
Life is unpredictable that way.  I had no idea or plans to be having my 3rd baby at 25 when I was 16, but that's what 25 held for me.  Luke at 15 had no idea that 16 would be it for him. 
It's easy to be sad on days like today.  My desire is to celebrate today.  To remember him healthy and vibrant and ambitious and funny.  To consume root bear and gummi bears til I'm nauseous and tell stories about him to my kids. 
Happy Birthday, Luke the Duke!

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said. Time has a way of standing still, yet moving forward all at the same time. Thank goodness his love was gummi bears and root beer instead of oysters and ketchup...makes celebrating WAY more fun! ;) Although, I wish this was something you and I didn't have in common, I sure find our talks about our brothers therapeutic. Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd find another way to celebrate if that were what he loved! Blah! And I agree. Always feels good to talk about our brothers!

    ReplyDelete