Monday, November 14, 2011

Competitive Humility

Or Humble Competitiveness?
Pre-CrossFit classes I did not think I had a problem with this issue. 
Apparently, I do.
I enjoy competition, always have.  It's fun to compete, it's more fun to win. 
And that's where I have a problem.  I like winning and it makes me crazy if I lose when I know I should have won.  I think it's gotten worse as I've gotten older.
These CrossFit classes are a whole other beast. 
Competition is an outward condition by most standards.  You vs. ?? 
But, You vs. You? 
Schizophrenic, anyone?
It's true.
I have to continually tell myself I'm competing against myself when all I want to do is get the best time or at least beat the people I feel like I should beat. 
It's not about anyone else but me.  It's about beating what I think I can do and being ok if today's not the day that that happens.
It's so very superficial and self-absorbed!  I know this.  And in this case, I'm not sure it's a bad thing.  I can't control how other people perform, or if they are knocking out a PR today.  I can only do my best.  It's what I tell my kids all the time.  Maybe it's time to take my own advice.  Easier said then done some days. 
Humility in competition.  Win or lose.  Best time or worst time.  PR or no PR.
CF brings out the strangest things.  It's like a self-help program wrapped up in a fitness class, wrapped up in a college level weightlifting class, wrapped up in awesomeness.

3 comments:

  1. Were you reading my mind!? I really need to work on the YOU vs. YOU, but my YOU isn't very motivated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to tell you how funny I think this is! But I'm gonna... This one has me laughing out loud. You are cRaZy!! I'm having almost more fun watching you be competitive than I am actually working out. And for the record...now I know why you call me when you want to work out. Easy win! j/k

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true! It is funny how I really had to kick my own butt for getting upset last week. I saw a quote the other day and the gist was you can learn more about a person in an hour of play than in a whole year of conversation. Yikes! That opened my eyes because I don't want to be an ugly green-eyed monster.

    ReplyDelete